PICASSO!!!


So this past weekend, I treated the family (mainly myself) to a trip to the Philadelphia Art Museum to see the Picasso exhibit. If you live in the Philly area, you know the weather wasn't exactly the most condusive for any kind of travel whatsoever. Nevertheless, we braved the elements (especially for the price of the tickets...we were going no matter what!).

We made it there after countless flooding/mudslide/fallen tree/St. Patty's Parade detours with just minutes to spare before our time slot was closed. Kevin drop me & the little guy off mid-traffic with umbrellas flying inside out and torrential sideways rain. By the time we checked our coats and picked up our tickets, we basically had to book-it up the stairs to the exhibit. Trying to compose myself and get back into "Museum Standard Status", we dried off and caught our breath before entering. Finn was extremely well-behaved and one of the few kiddos there. Of course, I was worried ~ not knowing how much a 6 year old would tolerate the situation. He was remarkably interested and studied each piece. UNTIL, *ring ring ring* ~ YES, it was MY phone!!! I'm NEVER the one with poor cell phone etiquette...I'm overly prepared, a painstakingly stickler for rules and MY phone rang. The glares were enough to kill...how humiliating! Other than that the trip was phenomenal and so inspiring. It's nice to know there still is an artist underneath this Mommy Persona. Unfortunately, no photos were permitted in the exhibit but I can tell you from the Picasso's (The Three Musicians - which is a LOT larger than I had anticipated) to Miro, Braque, Dali...it was amazing.The rest of our visit was cut a little short due to a previous promise we had made Finn to go roller skating afterwards. So, I didn't make it to the European Painter's Gallery...no Canaletto ~ Boo Hoo! :( I'm promised myself I will make it a point to visit more often this year, so...next time!
The annual entrance photo

Coloring in Finn's new Impressionist Coloring Book after the Exhibit
Calder Mobil in Entrance Way
Moments before the guard caught him taking a seat there...ooops!
Finn trying his hand a Sculpting
Taking a rest at the French Cloister
My goofballs
Heading out
Now for the Roller skating bit! I certainly was a little apprehensive about the whole ordeal considering the last time I roller skated was probably about 20+ years ago....and mind you, I wasn't good then either. I strapped on a pair of skates and OH BOY, I'm sure I was a site to see. I'm really confused though because I can ice skate rather well. Roller skating not so much! Then, topping it with the constant Motherly worries of my little boy falling and losing teeth or needing stitches just made it worse. Then, it happened!!! As I turned to help Finn up after falling, I completely ATE IT! The full "arms flailing, legs everywhere and BAM right on my bum. Humiliation moment #2 for the day...but I was pleased to laugh it off with the other 10 people chuckling at my expense...my hubby & Finn included!  Thank goodness there aren't any photos of that.  All in all, it was a GREAT day!

*Today we're headed to the Philadelphia Zoo with some friends.  Let's see what kind of trouble I can get in there :) *

Comments

Popular Posts