Sew...

I'll let you in on a little secret...

I didn't go to school for graphic design.  Although, my father tried his best to steer me in that direction.  In 1992, before many of us even had a personal computer, I started my BFA at Kutztown University as a sculpture major.  How's that for supportive parents?!  I now know why my dad was so adamant about graphic design.  Little did I know that's where I'd wind up.

Funny thing is, I didn't stick with sculpture after all.  After trying my hand at welding, jewelry making, woodworking, printmaking, oil painting, ceramics, and photography, I wound up majoring in textiles.  While I enjoyed every medium I worked in (minus oils), I absolutely loved working with fibers.  Everything from spinning and dying to weaving and stitching; I couldn't get enough.  I became the professor's assistant just so I could learn as much as possible from her and spend extra hours in the studio.  The extra money didn't hurt either.  I even spent my summers home from college sweltering at a historical village giving guided tours dressed as a 19th century weaver.  Yes, that's how much I love it!

Lately, I've been trying to find some "me time" and limit work to "work hours".  It drives my husband crazy when I work into the wee hours of the night and weekends.  With smart phones always close-at-hand, it's hard to disconnect from customer emails and texts.  Then, when I finally put my phone out of sight, I don't know what to do with myself.  I'm definitely not one who can sit idle.  I get stir- crazy and can't relax.  I need a project to relax me.  So, I think it's time to pick up the needle and thread again.

Stitched South Western Landscapes (my work - circa 1997 - *gulp* 20 years ago - what?!?)
  
Just yesterday, I found myself sucked into Pinterest, scouring hundreds of artists' work and getting excited to start creating again.

Here are a few of my absolute favorites...
  
http://www.123inspiration.com/embroidery-art-by-ana-teresa-barboza/

Embroidery Art by Ana Teresa Barboza

or maybe I'll try my hand a portraits this time.  

https://art-we-inspire.tumblr.com/post/141484438934/%D0%B2%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%8C-%D1%81%D0%BE-%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BC-%D0%B4%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%BC-by-lisasmirnova
Art by lisa_smirnova http://ift.tt/1UKKipa

 

Popular Posts